welcome to the WPA-TPS website
Here you will find all sorts of information about
WPA-TPS and Transcultural Psychiatry
And you can read about our members, the board and the ways to become a member. We have special reduced dues for members in training and members from LAMIC countries.
Being a member of WPA-TPS gives you all sort of advantages. Read more ⟶
The discipline of Transcultural Psychiatry (TP) continues to pursue the comparative approach outlined by Kraepelin (1904) and subsequently developed by Wittkower (1966) in the achievement of its five main objectives:
- exploration of the similarities and differences in the manifestations of mental illness in different cultures;
- identification of cultural factors that predispose to mental illness and mental health;
- assessment of the effect of identified cultural factors on the frequency and nature of mental illness;
- study of the form of treatment practised or preferred in different cultural settings;
- comparison of different attitudes toward the mentally ill in different cultures.