Professor Joop de Jong, the Dutch pioneer in the field of Transcultural Psychiatry and International Mental Health, will retire as Professor of Transcultural and International Psychiatry at the VU University in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
On the 31st of May 2013 the University hosts a special symposium on Cultural Psychiatry & Global Mental Health to honour the contributions of professor Joop de Jong to the field.
- Several international experts have agreed to deliver keynote lectures:
- Vikram Patel (London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, and Sangath, Goa) on ‘Global mental health’;
- Stevan Hobfoll (Rush Medical College, Chicago) on ‘Psychotrauma& resilience’;
- Devon Hinton (Harvard University) on ‘Psychotherapy & culture’.
- Chairperson: Mark van Ommeren (WHO, Geneva)
In the afternoon seven parallel sessions will be held with presentations from (former) PhD students of professor Joop de Jong. Till now speakers from Algeria, Burundi, Cambodia, the Netherlands, Palestine, Sierra Leone, Sri Lanka, Suriname, Uganda and the United States have already agreed to prepare a presentation.
At the end of the day Joop de Jong will deliver his farewell lecture in the main auditorium of the university.
You are cordially invited to participate in this day. Costs are 95 euro, including drinks and lunch.
The organizing committee
- Polli Hagenaars (Section Interculturalisation, Dutch Institute of Psychologists – NIP)
- Anneke van Schaik (Department of Psychiatry, GGZ inGeest/VU University Medical Centre Amsterdam)
- Peter Ventevogel (Section for Transcultural Psychiatry, Dutch Association for Psychiatry – NVvP)